An unbelievable cascading waterfall is the central feature of this 1932 log cabin in Tennessee's Smoky Mountain National Park area. The sights & sounds are stunning day & night. Easy access to the park or just 4 1/2 miles to the tourist attractions
River Falls Hideaway on Cove Creek Cascades is not just another cabin.
Environmental laws will not allow you to build so close to a body of water, much less a cascading waterfall.
Locations like this are extremely rare, and those for rent even more so.
They cannot be replaced, and when they're gone, they're gone. Most water features like this are inside
the National Park and you cannot buy or rent them for any price.
From around 1929 to 1932, 5 or 6 cabins were constructed on this stretch of private whitewater rapids.
Beside the first current cabin (actually not an original) you find the ruins of what was a community swimming pool.
Ours and 3 others are the only survivors. This is the real deal. Newer cabins are made like cookie cutters.
If that's what you want there are thousands of them. Every log here is individually worked and unique.
Here, floors are not level. Walls are not straight.. or square. Bedrooms do not have closets.
Windows are small and curiously two of them are inside. Stairs are narrow and not carpeted.
Things squeak and don't fit right. That's just how it is.
The cabin is 'gently updated'. Things we now require were added. There's full indoor plumbing.
Electrical features housed behind new lower false walls. Hidden central heat & air.
Look elsewhere for granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. I make no apology. It would only distract.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LOCATION
Ours is the last lot surviving from the original plat. I believe it is the best. No cars go past.
We are the only one that faces the mountain across the cascades instead of the road behind.
No one but wildlife will ever be across the cascades because we own the mountain too.
The upper creek side is a nature trail that dead-ends into solid rock, just short of one of the largest waterfalls
on cove creek. It hides a secret. The splash pool below is as deep as a swimming pool!
Many of these listings show pictures of things in the area. When we come here we rarely even GO anywhere else.
It's that good. The sight and sound is stunning. There are upper and lower covered porches directly facing
a more slow and shallow area which is a favorite for wading. There are upper falls to the right and lower falls
to the left which are best enjoyed from the porches, deck, or swing. They are rocky, slippery and can have strong currents.
Not to say we haven't climbed all of them, just understand what you are getting into.
And the beauty just gets better at night.
There are 5 floodlights in the rear plus a couple in front. The 2 old wooden chairs and cushions on the
lower porch are rather ugly. But you will never want to leave. Lots of cabins have views.
Very few can offer anything close to your own private cascading waterfall.
But there's even more. You are only 7 miles from the middle of the National Park.
And you can get there on scenic roads with only one turn and no red lights or stop signs
You can totally avoid the noise and traffic and be at Metcalf Bottoms on Little River Road in mere minutes.
Turn right and you're headed to the sinks on the way to Cades Cove.
Turn left and you have Elkmont and Laurel Falls, from which you can go into Gatlinburg or bypass it completely
to drive across the beautiful mountains into North Carolina.
Our location lets you choose to enjoy all the restaurants, shows and attractions, or go straight to the heart of the Smokies.
You have the best of both worlds.
2 BR 2 BA sleeps 6 when using the sleeper sofa. Gas fireplace in season. 3 porches & a deck. Double swing by the waterfalls.
Washer & Dryer. Gas & charcoal grills. Bedrooms upstairs. A bathroom on each level.
One fact of such an historic location is being on well water, and most here have sulfur content. There is a purification system which injects chlorine, which in a "contact tank" absorbs what is a gas,
combines with it, and is then filtered out with a whole-house filter. Ideally you would never know it.
But in practicality it can vary from residual chlorine to a noticeable odor.
It is harmless but we do not drink it, and have bottled water for drinking and for the ice trays.
When you rent 6 nights we make it a week with the 7th night free. That's a 15% discount. We have no other discounts.
We are in a small valley between 2 mountains which unfortunately makes cell service very poor.
There is some service on the back deck but none in the cabin. We were paying for long distance on the land line
but few people used it and it has been discontinued. The land line will work for emergencies to call 911.
We like to touch base with our guests by phone before accepting bookings to answer any questions you have,
such as our pet policy. We accept well behaved small dogs under 30 pounds, expecting them to be crated
when you are not there. We do not want water dogs because of damage to the creek banks and cabin.
There is a $50 taxable pet fee. Please call or email any questions. We do not rent to anyone wanting to have a party.
We are happy to accept your check. Thank you for considering us.
John & Elaine
Zugang für Gäste
We email our guests about 2 weeks prior to arrival with various information you will need including directions. Two to 3 days before arrival we send current gate, door and alarm codes.
Weitere wichtige Infos
We are required by Tennessee to collect a 12.75% lodging tax. We have not figured out where to put it on this site yet. Sorry.
1. Smoking is allowed outside ONLY.
2. NO PARTIES. Our property is family friendly. Renting the property for the purpose of throwing a party is prohibited. Violation of this rule shall be basis for termination of rental contract without refund.
3. All of the units are privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities. The Homeowners are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables of the guest. By accepting this reservation, it is agreed that all guests are expressly assuming the risk of any harm arising from their use of the premises or others whom they invite to use the premise.
4. Keep the property and all furnishings in good order Only use appliances for their intended uses
5. PETS are permitted only with prior approval and additional $50 cleaning cost. Maximum weight 30 pounds. Must be crated when left alone. Guest responsible for property damage. Minimum age 1 year.
PARKING – Parking is limited to ____3___ vehicles. Vehicles are to be parked in designated parking areas only.
7. Housekeeping: There is no daily housekeeping service. While linens and bath towels are included in the unit, daily maid service is not included in the rental rate. We suggest you bring beach towels. We do not permit towels or linens to be taken from the units.
8. Hot Tub: Non-applicable.
9. Fireplace: The fireplace is a non-vented propane gas log fired firebox. Please do not throw any paper or other combustible materials in the fireplace. Fireplaces are turned on during cold weather, they are not operational during warm periods.
10. Water and Septic: The cabin is on a well and septic systems. During a drought, the well water may have an odor. The septic system is very effective; however, it will clog up if improper material is flushed. DO NOT FLUSH anything other than toilet paper. No feminine products should be flushed at anytime. If it is found that feminine products have been flushed and clog the septic system, you could be charged damages.
11. Storms: No refunds will be given for storms. Mountain roads can be curvy and steep. We highly recommend four wheel drive and/or chains during the snow months. We do not refund due to road conditions.
Wenn du bis 7 Tage vor deiner Reise stornierst, erhältst du eine Rückerstattung in Höhe von 50 %. Wenn du innerhalb von 7 Tagen vor deiner Reise stornierst, ist die Buchung nicht erstattungsfähig.
(Noch) keine Bewertungen
Diese Unterkunft hat noch keine Bewertungen. Wenn du sie buchst, wird deine Bewertung hier erscheinen.
I met & married Elaine in Christian college preparing for and working in Christian Broadcasting. We are now retired with 4 adult children and 11 grands. Elaine is blind and has never seen husband John, who found and bought this location for her to enjoy the sound of the falls. We truly believe this area is God's Country and His beautiful creation.