This house is about 86 years old and it was full-renovated in 2015 winter. It is made of wood and shikkui(plaster wall), Japanese traditional house called Machiya, around 43 square meters. We have 2 single beds and 1 double size futon(140cm x 210cm). 4 persons can stay at one time.
The nearest station is Kiyomizu-gojo Station, Keihan Line, 5minutes walk from the house. It's within walking distance of Kyoto's downtown, Gion area.
This place requires you to complete Verified ID before booking.
***READ ME FIRST***
It is very long English sentences because we would like to explain this place in detail. These are from reviews and inquiries that we have got before, so it is very helpful for you too. Please read through it by clicking "+More" below and see photos with description before you send us a request. And if you have any questions though you read through it, please feel free to ask us before booking to avoid misunderstandings and mismatch between your demand and our real place.
We are hosting because we would like the guests from all over the world to experience the Japanese traditional lifestyle at Japanese old traditional house, called Machiya.
-About this Machiya
Drastically renovated old Japanese traditional house.
Around 43 square meters.
It is located at the end of an alley, which has a 'Kyoto flavor'.
Basically this architectural style (called “Nagaya-zukuri”) doesn’t get much natural light in the first place because it can have windows only on 2 sides; north and south or east and west for example.
Every windows has Shoji screen made of wood and Washi paper. It has an important role of getting lighter; it reflects natural light and lightens the room a bit. It’s a wisdom of ancestors and one of a Japanese culture which is handed down from over seven hundred years ago.
In addition, all of the window is opaque. The reason is to be taken into consideration with neighborhood because this area is very crowded with houses so that should need to keep / respect their and our privacy.
The winter time in Kyoto is very cold and our place is old Japanese house, it might not warm than you expected even if you use an air conditioner. If you are sensitive to cold, you probably should bring your slipper etc.
You can stay 4 persons using 2 single beds, and double size futon (140cm x 210cm) in Japanese tatami room.
The bedrooms are located on the second floor. When you go up the stairs, you can see two single beds. And then you can see Japanese room (the futon is there) next to the bed which is located beside a Fusuma (a Japanese-style sliding wooden door). So this Japanese room is a private room, but the bed room is, strictly speaking, not a private room because it doesn’t have a door and doesn’t closed by walls.
You can cook using kitchen with cooking utensils. Please see photos for detail.
The staircase is quite steep and narrow, but this is one of the characteristic of Machiya, the old house in Kyoto. We are happy if you could enjoy it as living like a local.
4) Air conditioner
This house has air conditioners which can also use as a heater, but we don't have an oil heater or a gas heater or something like that.
-Amenities (for 4 persons)
toothbrush and toothpaste
* We don't have any slippers because it is dangerous to slip when you go up / down the stairs.
Please see the photos for detail. If you need something we don't have, please let us know before you send a request or at latest before your arrival. We might be able to prepare it.
- This house is not friendly for:
1) Baby & little child
There are many fragile things like Shoji, Fusuma, Byobu etc. They are made of wood and paper. We are terribly sorry but if those delicate things are broken, we cannot fix them partly, so should replace whole things, and might charge full amount to you...
2) light sleeper
There is a hole with a wooden grid on the floor of the bedroom for ventilation, and you can see through to the living room downstairs. This hole is also located near by the washroom and the bathroom downstairs, so you can hear the noise like the flushing of toilet. Many guests and my family don't mind these noise even at night, but especially for a light sleepers, it might make them not to sleep well.
- Please take notice to the following points before request:
1) We don’t have the settings for children’s charge, and kindly ask all the guests to be charged for the person who stay there regardless of age.
2) We can accept children of ten years and over.
- When you send a request or questions to us, please be sure to tell us about:
1) Your self-introduction and the purpose of this trip (We place great importance on what kind of person the guest is, so would like to know more about you.)
2) The number of your group (include children)
3) If you bring your children with you, the age of the youngest child.
Zugang für Gäste
Do not enter the balcony.
Interaktion mit Gästen
Our check-in time is from 4pm to 9pm. We are really sorry but we will not be able to reply the email soon after 9pm.
We would like to accept guests who can read and write in English/Japanese because of avoiding trouble. All instructions are written in English.
After booking, I will send you the information of how to come to the house from nearest stations and how to get the key etc.
We live far from Kyoto so unfortunately we cannot see you in person. If you need any help, please let us know by email. We try to provide any assistance you want as much as possible.
Weitere wichtige Infos
1. We would appreciate if you understand that you cannot ask for the same comfortability and livability as modern apartments or hotels because this place is an old house.
2. This house has Japanese traditional wall (shikkui, plaster wall), shoji and fusuma (sliding doors made of paper and wood). Please do not bump into them. If you push or bump with strong force, they will get broken. Just in case, if you broke it, we should replace it (cannot repair it). If that happens, we are really sorry but we will charge its cost to you.
3. If you arrive early or enjoy exploring Kyoto after check-out, we kindly ask all the guests to leave your luggage in coin lockers or Baggage rooms at Kyoto station. If you need the detailed information about it, please let us know. We will send you the document via message function on Airbnb.
4. If you would like to extend your stay, please let us know at least 2 days before your check-out. If you extend it on the morning of your check-out day you will have to pay the cleaning cancellation fee because our cleaning crew may already be on their way to the house.
5. Our latest check-in time is 21:00 because our house is located in a residential area and live a little children nearby who sleep around that time. We would appreciate if you pay attention to the sound of talking and dragging your carry bags when you come at night.
1. This is non-smoking house. Smoking and using fire is strictly prohibited.
2. Making noise, playing music, having a party are prohibited.
3. Since this is a Japanese house, guests are requested to take shoes off before entering our house.
4. You can take toothbrush and drinks in the fridge, but please do not take other items because they are equipments of this house.
5. No pets allowed.
6. We kindly ask you to refrain from smoking or talking loudly or use smartphones at out of the front door and the front path because they will become a trouble with residents in the neighborhood.
7. There are many delicate fittings such as sliding doors, fusuma, shoji, etc in this house. It is not suitable for babies and little children.
8. To save power, please turn off the lighting and the air-conditioning while you go out for a long time and when you check out.
Dieser Gastgeber hat 83 Bewertungen für andere Unterkünfte.Andere Bewertungen ansehen
Pax intrantibus,Salus exeuntibus Benedicto habitantibus
Hello. Thank you for visiting our page!
We are Rie and Satoshi. We live in Yokohama, Kanagawa prefecture with our three kids who keep us laughing and smiling. Unfortunately we live far from Kyoto but we love Kyoto and sometimes go there for travel. We manage these listings but we cannot be there as your hosts, however, we try to provide any assistance as much as possible. Please feel free to ask us when you have any questions. We will be always available by email during your stay. I hope that our place will be your comfortable and cozy base to explore Kyoto.
We offer 3 listings:
1. Renovated Machiya at central Kyoto with free WiFi
2. Bamboo&Greenery room at central Kyoto w/ free wifi
3. 4ppl Max, Modern apt at central Kyoto w/ free WiFi
Let us introduce ourselves.
Grew up in Mihara, Hiroshima prefecture (bayside area) and Sayama, Saitama prefecture. I sometimes go to Kyoto on the business trip. I am interested in history and culture about Japan and abroad, and I think it will be enriched one’s life to be exposed to different value. It will be a great chance to know your country and culture to host you, so I hope that you will become more interested in Japanese culture to stay in Kyoto.
The countries I have visited are Taiwan, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, China, Turkey.
I am Japanese female, born and grew up in Kanagawa prefecture. I love traveling both in Japan and abroad, walking around my neighborhood with the youngest daughter (1-year-old) to find something new. I like Japanese cuisine, especially Sushi. It is very fun for me to make Temaki-zushi(hand-rolled sushi) with my family on holiday. Unfortunately I cannot meet you in person, but I try to be your reliable host :)
The countries I have visited are the United Kingdom, Italy, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, France, Turkey, Canada, Taiwan, Malaysia.
We would like to go to the country you live someday!
Thank you very much,
Rie & Satoshi