King room with private bath with whirlpool tub, a/c, flat screen TV, fireplace and complimentary Wi-Fi set in lovingly restored historic B&B mansion-the Rockland Talbot House. Guests enjoy complimentary breakfast, homemade pie with ice cream in the evening, daily housekeeping service, off-street parking, use of all first floor common areas including the dining room, guest pantry area (ice, microwave, refrigerator), porch, grand parlor, sunroom, library, off-street parking and homemade pies!
* The Rockland Talbot House is a vacation rental fully licensed B&B located in the historic, residential area of Rockland. It is in a quiet neighborhood away from the traffic and noises of Rte. 1 but an easy walk to the harbor, downtown shops, museums, art galleries and restaurants. The owners have been welcoming guests to the Rockland community for over 19 years. We are seasoned veterans at hospitality and work very hard to make every guests' stay a memorable one. As we like to say - in Maine every ordinary day can be truly extraordinary!
* The Rockland Talbot House was one of the largest private homes built in the City of Rockland at about 6,600 square feet and is listed on the National Historic Registry. Edward Hopper, considered one of the greatest American 20th century painters, used this home as a subject for his 1926 painting "Talbot's House".
* The owners purchased the property in 2014 and are restoring the home to its original 1870 grandeur. We work on the inside of the property in the winter months when the building is closed to guests. In the summer, we focus on finishing the exterior painting to make the building a showplace. There is no need to worry about any inconvenience by any construction noise.
* Your guest room suite is located on the 1st floor and is 1 of 4 guestrooms available for rent in this beautiful historic mansion. Your guestroom is decorated in a beautiful shades of tan, lakeside blue and cream and features a queen sized bed, small desk and sitting area, flat screen TV, working fireplace, and air conditioning. The attached private bath features a large walk-in shower, heated floors and great fluffy towels.
* Your guest room, room #5, is located on the 2nd floor and is 1 of 4 guestrooms available for rent in this beautiful historic mansion- the Rockland Talbot House. It is our largest room and features a king antique mahogany bed, 12 foot ceilings and is decorated in rich colors of navy blue, claret and gold. It also has two oversized windows for lots of natural light but affixed with room blackening shades for great night time sleeping. There is a great sitting area in front of the fireplace, smart TV and complimentary Wi-Fi. The room also has a desk, closet, in-room controlled heat and a/c and en-suite private bath with whirlpool tub and shower with double shower heads. Each guest has their own key to their individual room and access to the locked outside doors via a personal remote code. Daily housekeeping service, homemade breakfast and homemade pie and ice cream is included in the nightly rate.
* For more information about the property and for the best rates available, you can visit our website at rocklandtalbothouse.
* The Rockland Talbot House is operated as a professional B&B inn. We believe there is a reason why Airbnb choose to include “BnB” in their name and we exemplify this reason. We work hard to provide our guests with exceptional hospitality; clean, safe and well-appointed accommodations; and plenty of local knowledge to help you make the most of your time in the Rockland area. We prefer to check in our guests personally between 4-6pm so we can introduce you to your home away from home; provide you with maps and information on the area; help with any dinner or activity reservations and to make sure you know how to reach us for any assistance or for emergency coverage.
* Guests at the Rockland Talbot House are welcome to make themselves at home in the many common areas of the B&B inn which include: the Grand Parlor (common television, jigsaw puzzle, game area and comfy sitting area in front of the fireplace); Sunroom; Dining Room; and 2nd floor Library.
* The Guest Pantry area has a full refrigerator, microwave, dishes, glasses and coffee maker for guest use. It is stocked with an assortment of teas, coffee, sodas and water.
* The Rockland Talbot House provides “evening sweets” which include homemade pie and ice cream nightly for our guests.
* The nightly rate includes a complimentary multi-course homemade breakfast served at individual tables. As a licensed B&B property, we are certified, inspected and licensed by the City of Rockland and the State of Maine to allow us to prepare and serve food to our guests.
* The nightly rate also includes daily housekeeping services to refresh the room, replace used towels (if requested) and change linens (as requested). Unlike other rental properties, there is no additional cleaning fee charged per reservation.
* The Rockland Talbot House offers private, off-street parking for all of our guests on the property.
* We value our guests’ safety. Each guest will be given their own keys to their individual guest suite and a personal remote access code to the outside doors. The property utilizes security cameras and keeps all outside doors locked at all times for the privacy and safety of our guests. The property also has a full sprinkler and fire, smoke and carbon monoxide alarm systems that are monitored 24 hours a day.
* We offer a personalized check-in service for our guests daily from 4-6pm to introduce you to your “home” and provide you with information about the area. If your travels will have you arriving to the property after 6pm please let us know in advance and if we are not available to personally check you in we will make arrangements for an easy self-check. With the self-check process, you will be emailed a code to the front door to gain entrance to the building and directed to retrieve your room keys and directions to your room. We will also provide lots of information about the area in your room for you.
* We also use breakfast time as an opportunity to enjoy talking with our guests. We will gladly help you with directions, reservations for local activities, dinner reservations or with other questions you might have to help you make the most of your time in the Rockland area.
* During other times of the day (or night), the owners of the property live directly next door and can be easily reached if there are any problems, concerns or questions that you need assistance with. The emergency contact numbers are posted by all exit doors, by the house phone and in all of the guest books in each room.
* Our vacation rental property is located in a quiet, historic residential neighborhood in what was built as Rockland’s “exclusive” neighborhood. The homes on the street are some of the largest historic homes built in the City. The property is walking distance to Rockland's downtown shops, restaurants, museums and harbor. We are not located on busy Route 1.
* Rockland is a very walk-able City and most of our guests enjoy being able to walk to dinner and the shops. Rockland is also the geographic center of mid-Coast Maine and is located halfway between Portland and Bar Harbor making it a great location for convenient day trips to explore the nearby islands, rugged coast, quaint coastal towns and fabulous parks like Acadia.
* Rockland has been named one of the "Coolest Small Towns in the US" by Budget Traveler; a top Adventure town in Maine by National Geographic Traveler; one of the Best Small Foodie Towns in the US by (URL HIDDEN) and has evolved into one of the Maine's "must see" art centers. There is so much to do in the area both inside and outside so you can keep as busy as you would like regardless of the weather! We can provide you with sample menus of restaurants; maps; activity brochures and help you as much as you would like with your daily plans.
Rockland is a walkable city. There are cabs available for about $5-7 anywhere within the City limits. There is a place to rent bicycles downtown.
You can get here by plane, train (sort of) and automobile.....
The closest airports to Rockland Maine are as follows:
Knox County Regional Airport (RKD) – 5 miles from us. Small regional airport serviced 3 to 5 times daily by Cape Air from Boston. They are affiliated with Jet Blue and are in the same terminal. Round trip fares from Boston start at about $114
Rental Cars: Budget (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Portland International Jetport (PWM) – 80 miles 1.5 hrs from us
The largest airport in Maine but a medium/small sized airport. This route is easy to navigate to Rockland even it is late at night.
Bangor International Airport (BGR) – 65 miles or about 2 hours north of us. Medium sized Airport. This can sometimes be a difficult drive to Rockland as you are on less traveled roads without a lot of street lights or signage.
Concord Trailways Bus Service
(PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) Service from Boston to Rockland twice daily. New for 2016 is more direct services connecting to NY. Terminal is located at the end of Talbot Avenue about 2.5 blocks from the property.
Rockland offers Taxi/Driver Services with Airport Service and generally about $5-$7 cab fare in and around town.
Hit the Road Driver Service (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Midcoast Limo (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Schooner Bay Taxi (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Joe’s Taxi (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Budget Rental (Knox Airport) (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Enterprise (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) or (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
U-Save Auto Rental (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) or (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
As of 10/31/15, the Maine Eastern Railroad will no longer be running a round trip excursion trip between Brunswick and Rockland. Stay tuned for an update on a train connection to the Amtrak DownEaster train in Brunswick, Maine. You can get close to here on the train but will need transportation from Brunswick to Rockland which is about 54 miles.
* We believe our vacation rental B&B offers the best of both worlds for travelers. Guests enjoy the amenities, daily housekeeping, personal touches and safety of a B&B and the privacy and independence of a vacation rental property.
* This vacation rental property is FULLY LICENSED, INSPECTED and COMPLIANT with local, state and national life safety standards for lodging properties by the City of Rockland and compliant with food service certification for the State of Maine.
* This means that our guests can sleep well knowing their safety is valued and protected. The building has been recently renovated such that all of our electric wiring is new and up to code (not unsafe knob and tube); stairs and egresses are life-safety compliant; the building is completely hard wired with interconnected smoke and carbon monoxide detectors; emergency lighting and signage is available in case of an event and the owners reside immediately next door.
* This property is not managed by an out of town Management Company but by the owners of the property who are professional hospitality hosts. Because of our legal compliance and status, we can offer our guests a complimentary homemade breakfast as part of the room rate. Additionally, you can book with the confidence of knowing that you are making a reservation with a legal lodging property in Rockland.
* Daily housekeeping fees are already included in the price.
(State of Maine license: # 26407 City of Rockland permit 6/2016/2017
For the convenience, safety and comfort of all of our guests, below please find information to help you better plan your stay with us.
Check-In Times: Our preferred check-in time is anytime between 4 and 6 pm. We look forward to meeting you, giving you a personal introduction to your “home away from home” and providing you with any other information about the area you might need to make the most of your stay in Rockland. If you know that you will be arriving after 6 pm, please contact us in advance to make arrangements for a late check-in. We will email you an access code to the outside door so you can retrieve your key and detailed directions to your room. We aim to make this process as easy and convenient as possible.
Check-Out Times: Our check-out time is 11 am. We greatly appreciate you respecting our check out time to allow us the time we need to prepare the room for our next guests.
Rates/Occupancy: Rates are based on one or two person occupancy. Due to State Fire laws, we are unable to accommodate more than two persons per guest room. All rates are subject to change based on occupancy, special events, weekends and/or holiday dates.
We offer the following discounts only when a reservation is booked directly with us:
4-6 night stay: 10% discount from stated rate excluding taxes
7 night or greater stay: 15% discount from stated rate excluding taxes
Advanced Deposits: The full amount of the reservation is required to be paid at the time of booking. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express.
Cancellations: As a small vacation rental property with a short rental season, cancellations greatly affect us. When you book a reservation with us, we enter into a contract together. We agree to hold a specific room for you for your specified dates and thus do not have the opportunity to sell it to others. As a guest, you agree to pay us the agreed upon rate and to honor our house rules. As a small rental property, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy so we strongly recommend you consider travel insurance to protect for life’s unexpected events particularly if your vacation plans involve air travel. Our normal cancellation notice is 14 days prior to your arrival date for a return of your advanced deposit less a $75 cancellation fee.
Visitors/Gatherings: The house and all guest rooms are for registered guests only. We ask that you respect the comfort and privacy of other guests and for our neighbors by limiting the visits of your friends, colleagues or family members who may be in the area but are not also guests of the house. Being a good neighbor means respecting the quality of life and privacy of our neighbors around us, please help us maintain our good standing in the neighborhood by minimizing outside noise after 9pm and being a good neighbor also.
Smoking: There is no smoking allowed inside the building of any type of tobacco product including e-cigarettes. Smoking is allowed outside at designated areas. The owners reserve the right to charge the credit card on file $350 fee to cover the cost of deep cleaning and/or replacing upholstered furniture, window treatments, rugs and bedding if it is determined that a guest has violated this policy and smoked in any location inside the building.
Candles: As the building is fully compliant with current fire and life-safety codes, we do allow candles to be used by our guests. To prevent any accidents, we respectfully ask that all candles be extinguished when you leave your guest room.
Parking: We offer our guests convenient and secure off street parking on the property. Guest parking is located in the parking area at the end of the driveway.
Pet Policy: Although the owners love animals, we do not allow animals (other than service animals) on premise. Twelve years ago the owners adopted a rescue cat that has been attacked by a dog; does not like other cats; and hunts other small furry creatures so basically he will not play nice in HIS domain with other animals. The cat resides with the owners next door and never physically goes into this building but he still “patrols” the outside spaces and considers it part of his “domain”. We can recommend boarding facilities nearby for your four-legged travel mate.
Prevailing Lodging Tax: As a fully licensed and legal lodging property, all reservations are subject to the State of Maine’s prevailing lodging and sales tax requirements. As of 1/1/2017, current rates are 9% lodging, 8% prepared food and 5.5% sales tax respectfully.
All policies above are subject to change and in the case of discrepancies the policy in effect at the inn will prevail. Policies stated above were last reviewed 4/1/17.