My wife and I stayed at Rachel's place for the weekend, before heading back home (Europe).
*The good stuff*
- The location is great. Right next to the sky bus terminal and right in the heart of the city, with great views as well.
**The bad stuff**
- Communication: check-in communication was inconsistent. Annoying when you are travelling and access to WiFi/internet isn’t always consistent. Took days for replies on check-in arrangements. See further below for other communication related problems.
- Cleanliness: Room, especially bathroom are untidy. Dust and stains around the sink and toilet. Shower door was also poorly cleaned.
- Privacy: Expect as much privacy as you would in a Hostel, if not less. On our first night, while we were sleeping, a stranger barged in our room, looking for Rachel’s room. After telling him that we didn’t know and that we were Airbnb guests, he closed the door and left the flat, but only after being extremely loud for a few minutes inside flat.
- Unsafe: If random people can access the flat at all times of the night, then it’s not a “safe” place. As a professional photographer, I travel with expensive gear and understandably, I didn’t feel safe leaving valuables in the flat following the intrusion from an unknown person into our room in the middle of the night.
***The Really bad stuff***
Rachel and her flatmate Patricia are running this Airbnb in an extremely unprofessional capacity.
Read “privacy” comment above.
Our hosts handled our issue aforementioned problem unprofessionally. They didn’t do anything about it. First, after being awoken by an unknown man who barged in our room (no lock on door) in the middle of the night, we immediately communicated with the hosts to explain what had happened. A few minutes later, we got a message via Airbnb’s mobile app, asking if we were OK. We immediately replied. However, we never received any more communication from our hosts. No explanation, no apologies, no clarifications, etc. Even on our departure, when we met with one of the hosts, she didn’t acknowledge any of it.
Ultimately, this was an unpleasant experience, one we definitely aren’t planning on repeating. We cannot recommend staying at Rachel’s, not unless; you are looking for a bad Hostel Experience, at a premium price.