I am flummoxed by your unkind response.
I have never responded negatively to a guest but clearly there comes a time when a person; you, is so disrespectful and skewered in their view that they leave me no option.
The scenario was as follows;
1. You called to say your mother was very unwell and you would no longer be making the trip to Bath. By the conditions stipulated in the booking, the window for any refund had already closed.
I immediately expressed my deepest sympathy for your plight, asked what I might do to help and in my compassion offered you a 50% as well as a 50% off your next booking. I was not obliged to do either.
2. As mentioned above, you were/are not entitled to ANY refund, yet I immediately offered you a generous refund.
3. You were rude and disrespectful. You cut me off immediately after my generous offer which took me by surprise. Again in the spirit of generosity, I put your behaviour down to grief but can now see clearly it is a fundamental character trait. Your hostility and lack of civility remain a rude shock to me.
4. You say I mentioned not refunding an Airbnb fee:. It would be the Airbnb fee also charged to the householder by the company which in your conceit you may not be aware of!
5. Your husband called me.an hour after your initial call to apologise for your rude manner. He said it was the shock of the situation that made you behave this uncivil manner, asked that I forgive your behaviour and thanked me for the generous refund.
6. I paid the refund the instant I was paid by Airbnb which is 24 hours after check in. I refunded £45 of the £88 paid to me, which is actually more than a 50% refund
(The £88 you were charged is actually lower than our usual rate because it is low season).
7. Grief is not an excuse to behave badly; I have lost several members of my family including my mother, aged 55, two siblings when they were under 50, and my 17 year old niece. The fact that you lost your mother at 72, while it is of course to be mourned, is not a reason to lash out and slash at everyone. Many, like me who lost a parent when they were still so young, would in fact consider you to be be very blessed to have had your mother for so long.
8. You are so focused on yourself that none matter except you. You don't consider the impact of your behaviour on others, my shock at being so aggressively dismissed by you nor what I may also be experiencing. You don't take into consideration the expense that I incurred in preparation for your stay nor the loss of income that comes from a late cancellation. I paid a cleaner, £30 in advance, non -refundable, pls £8 for provisions and flowers for your stay.
Everything is clearly all about you and you have been allowed to get away with it. Let me give you a wake-up call.
You are a self involved and entitled individual
In this case you have unfairly used me as a punching bag for your grief and been abusive. You have no qualms about hurting my business which if you removed your entitled specs for a minute you might actually see that I behaved honourably to you. I can't imagine how much more I could have done.
I hope you will in time find maturity and wisdom both of which you clearly lack at this juncture.