Overall, this house was not worth the money given other available listings near the ocean in Amagansett and Montauk.
True, the house was less than a 10-minute walk to the arguably one of the best beaches in the world, but there were several issues.
And when I told the host about the issues -- some of which were based on a false listing or false comments -- he was "obtuse" (Shawshank Redemption).
Here were the issues and host responses:
1) listing had one queen and one full bed, but house only had 2 fulls -- host respopnse: a) no one else had ever complained, b) Sleepy's told him it was a queen when he bought it, c) he never had a problem (given his below average height), and, d) I was too picky when i asked for a partial refund;
2) upon check in, sink was clogged and fridge was dirty -- host response: a) "sorry I had to deal with it"; b) fridge was in fact clean when he looked at the house two weeks after I cleaned it; and c) I was too picky. (Note: I used Draino two times on the sink to clean it; no prob, but no concession.)
3) house needs ceiling fans on hot days -- host said it never bothered him;
4) host said cell service was fine in comments to the listings -- but if you have ATT and T-mobile, forget about any long conversations with clients or sick parents (host said he had Verizon and never had a problem). and
5) No dishwasher and no dish rack -- I knew about the dishwasher, but I was told that his wife thought dish-racks were ugly. Ok, I get it. But maybe you could get one of those new-fangled "folding" dishracks that can go in the cabinet between uses? It's not the lack of dish-rack at this point. It's the attitude.
In addition to the problems I raised with the host, there were other minor issues that I did not bother to raise, given his blah, blah, blah on what were perfectly straightforward comments:
1) not enough wine glasses -- I guess this says more about me than the host;
2) house would not sleep 7 without substantial sacrifice of privacy and space; and
3) the beach was truly incredible.
On the plus side, shower was as advertised, host had a spanking new washer-dryer, and host answered every e-mail promptly.
Also, did I mention the beach was incredible?
Maybe I am too picky, but at the price I paid for this place when there were luxury houses in Montauk at $200 cheaper a night and only another 5 minute walk to the beach, I did not feel this house was worth it.