We enjoyed Tulum overall and hope to make it back sometime soon. However, this was by far the worst experience I have had with an Airbnb. We experienced several issues with the rental and I would not recommend staying here. Some of the issues we encountered:
- The refrigerator broke within 24 hours (or was already broken when we got there) and despite assurances from Lenin (the contact that checked us into the condo) that it would be fixed promptly, we had to pester him and it took over a full day for the issue to be resolved. We also had about $50 USD of food spoil from this and had to make a second trip to the supermarket.
- The double bed in the second bedroom is extremely hard and uncomfortable. Upon inspection, the mattress appears to be very old, very stained, and far from the “so he equipped with all the best” description from the AirBnB listing. This caused the second couple to not sleep well, which significantly detracted from their vacation.
- There was no grill on the rooftop, as the listing describes. Lenin did provide one on the second day, but it was quite rusty and full of wet charcoal.
- The Jacuzzi drain plug did not work. We also had Lenin replace this. Once it was replaced, we were never able to get the water warm, despite following his directions.
- The washing machine also suffered from a leak and we had to coordinate a repair for this.
- We requested that the house be stocked with essentials for check-in, as the listing states is available. This was not done. We requested this later as well for dish soap and trash liners, and it was not done the second time either.
- There is no “small Jacuzzi facing the jungle” as the listing states.
- We did not receive the “Organic toiletries welcome set” described in the listing and had to go out shopping upon arrival to deal with this and the lack of other essentials.
- There were a number of other small issues that make it seem like the unit is not well maintained. These include: a leaky shower head in the master bedroom, missing tiles on the jacuzzi, no key to lock the rooftop, a broken lounge chair on the rooftop, a broken light on the rooftop, several broken switches/outlets in the unit, ripped and very low quality bed linens, and a generally poorly equipped kitchen.
Our general feeling is that we received a very poor value for the price we paid. We requested a partial refund of $1,088 to compensate, but only received $500 from Claudio.