A fully renovated Kyoto’s traditional townhouse with four bedrooms, island kitchen & dining, wood deck, tea room and bath tub both facing garden. Fully equipped with electric appliance for living and cooking. 3 min to subway/tram stations, 5 min subway ride to Kawaramachi / Shijo / Gion, a direct access to Arashiyama (19min tram), Kinkaku-ji (17min bus), and Osaka (45min). The largest restaurant/bar area in the west around the stations and two supermarkets in a 30 to 90 seconds from the house.
The house is the north part of twin house structure (and independent from the south, which is also an accommodation for tourists) and first built in 1930’s as wooden townhouse with its unique twin design at the time. After continuous minor modifications and fixations over several decades since then, the entire building went through its first-time full renovation in 2016 by a collaboration of Kyoto’s top machiya (traditional Kyoto wooden house) renovator and provider HACHISE CO.,LTD. and Kyoto’s entrepreneur architecture, furniture and interior designer FHAMS CO., LTD.
The two-story townhouse consists of a stainless island kitchen in a wide dining area, a living room, a tea room facing a Japanese garden, a spacious entrance hall, an open air wood deck, and a powder/toilet room and a shower/bath room on the 1st floor and the master bedroom, a tatami room, and the center hall on the 2nd floor.
The master bedroom with two single beds can be transformed into a super king seamless bedding for a couple with kids as needed. Both of the center hall and the tatami room hold one thick double mattress. The tea room on the 1st floor can be used for a single bedroom if not used for relaxing space to view the small Japanese garden over coffee/tea. So the house can hold up to seven adults, six adults and a couple of kids, etc. A baby cot can be arranged in the center hall as well. Please talk to the owner so he can set up best to fit the group composition of the guest
The kitchen and dining area is another hallmark of the house. The stainless island kitchen with three gas stoves sits in the middle, a see-through cupboard holding dishes and cups is in front of the warm orange colored wall, and a dining table for five is continuously arranged from the island. The appliance includes a microwave, an oven toaster, a refrigerator, rice cookers, a coffee mil and a server, and a set of pans and pots.
The powder room area includes a toilet with a bidet function, a Panasonic automatic washer and dryer, and a sink. Next to this room is the bath and shower room facing the Japanese garden. The owner provides bath/face towels, shampoo, rinse, soap, and a hair dryer.
The entrance hall can be used to store your luggage to relieve guests from lifting and dragging around it in the house. If you go upstairs, the hall in the center can serve as a place to relax by looking down the entrance hall or communicating with those in the 1st floor through the large opening.
Zugang für Gäste
Guests can access to all areas except below:
- The storage with a wooden sliding door next to the living area
- The TV board drawers in the living area
- The storage with glass/wooden sliding doors in the twin room upstairs
- The storage with wooden sliding doors in the center room upstairs
Interaktion mit Gästen
The owner will try to be at the check-in. Happy to discuss the restaurants and sightseeing spots, book restaurants and taxi / trains, or talk about anything about life.
Weitere wichtige Infos
Please confirm the sleeping area arrangement before you move forward to the reservation. Do ask the host if you have any question or concern. The host would like to set a right expectation with the guest.
- There is a flooring room of about 7.7m2 in the east side of the second floor. Two low beds are permanently set and an air conditioner solely for this room is equipped. Although the beds are set about 40cm apart from each other, the two can be combined into a seamless super king bed as needed.
- There is a tatami room of about 4.6m2 in the west side of the second floor. A 16cm thick double mattress is installed. A big air conditioner is installed for both this room and the center hall - the sliding door between the two areas will be removed during the summer to cool the center room
- There is a center hall of about 6m2 between the flooring room in the east and the tatami room in the west. A 16 cm thick double mattress is installed. One thing to be noted is that this space is also used to reach the rooms in the east and the west described above – if the guest needs visual privacy, please use two sets of 180 cm high foldable partitions to visually separate the three spaces.
- Tea room of about 3.2m2 in the first floor could be used as a single bed room. With a sliding door, privacy can be maintained; however, the door has to be kept open to be air conditioned from the living area.
Unlike in ryokans or hotels, there is no tooth brush or pajama or yukata prepared for the guests. Bath towels, face towels, and hair dryers are available.
There is no parking lot in the house so please use the coin parking in the FRESCO (supermarket 30 second walk from the house) or another one near Shijo street (2min walk)
Let the owner know if you need accommodation for 7 to 12 persons – the owner can talk with the owner of the other house in the same building
Please follow the city rule for the waste disposal (explained in the house).